An Alberta where Parish Nursing* is an essential and integrated dimension of the faith and health of diverse faith communities.
* also called Faith Community Nursing
Parish Nursing Alberta (PNA) advances the growth and sustainability of parish nursing as a health and ministry resource within Alberta.
Health Promotion: viewing health as body, mind, and spirit wholeness.
Integration of Faith and Health: reinforcing the strong tie between faith and health, and healthy spirituality.
Health Advocacy: acting to preserve human dignity and informed decision making as these are related to the health practices of diverse faith communities.
Health Education: fostering provincial and local learning opportunities focused on the integration of faith and health.
Health Counselling: providing tools and information provincially and locally for discussing health needs and goals.
Health Resources Referral: serving as a translator between faith and health resources and communities.
- We recognize that parish nursing is a specialized branch of nursing and a grass-roots ministry.
- We foster and promote parish nursing ministry identity, education, practice standards, competencies and research.
- We encourage and affirm local parish nurse initiatives, while promoting a provincial identity.
- We celebrate the diversity of parish nurse programs across Alberta.
- We collaborate with individuals and groups that are vital to parish nursing.
- We respect and engage the health promoting practices of multiple faith traditions while being rooted in Christianity.
- We secure financial sustainability for the Parish Nursing Alberta.
- We monitor and disseminate the Core Competencies and Standards of Practice for CAPNM.
- We reach into the broader community promoting faith and health needs.
- We include as essential shareholders: parish nurses, nursing educators, faith tradition educators, diverse faith communities and partnering organizations.